Saturday, September 6, 2008

Stormy weather


We awoke early this morning to the sound of howling wind. And we knew that the fingertips of Hanna had arrived. We've had some downpours as well and our power has flickered on and off...

It seems that the worst of it has passed us now and things are beginning to calm down. The sky is starting to lighten, although it's still very gray and overcast. The wind, for the most part, is calm with occasional gusts. And tomorrow the sun will be back.

But we were ready...gas for the generator, lanterns, oil lamps, flashlights, water, food, medication. All stood by in preparation should Hanna (or Ike, or Josephine, or...) decide to pummel us like Isabelle did a few years back when we were without power for nearly a week (and others in our area close to two weeks).

And so it is with life. There will come wind and rain. Big storms even...the Word tells us we are to be prepared, we are to immerse ourselves in Him prior to adversity so that we can (and will) turn to Him when disaster strikes.
"...when your dread comes like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but they will not find me, because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord."
Proverbs 1:27-29
But our God is mighty to save!! (I love that song, don't you?!)

"Yahweh, your God, is in the midst of you, a mighty one who will save. He will rejoice over you with joy. He will calm you in his love. He will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17
I hope you're enjoying sunshine where you are - in one form or another! Be blessed ~ see you Monday!

8 comments:

jeleasure said...

Gigi,
I'm going through the rain with you and your husband here in Virginia. And yes, it is so true an illustration for life.
I'm not in good health these days as I struggle to get my thyroid condition adjusted. The last time I was in the doctors office, I told him I was having symptoms. Well, the test showed my thyroid to be normal. But for about three weeks, off and on, my thyroid has not been producing the hormones it normally does. So, you can imagine, though I am receiving synthetic hormones they are not what I need to be balanced. My friends and new job are having to learn about this. This is why I have not been very active on my blog, lately.
Jim

Gigi said...

James - I totally understand. I've been hypothyroid for years. Hopefully, once they find the right dosage for you, you'll feel better...but it is a delicate balance! Be well - you'll be in our prayers.

Lori said...

Sun is shinning but only for awhile, we have Ike bearing down. Acutally it won't hit us directly but we will get some of the bands. We Floridians are kind of tired of rain =)

Great application.

Gigi said...

Oh Laurel...we are hoping that Ike fizzles SOON! We'll be praying for all of you there in Florida and the gulf area...

Darlene said...

Rain or Shine. We are all Blessed.

Lite rain yesterday all day and night. None since about 4 this morning.

Beautiful day today. Light breeze with the temmp in the mid 70's.

God Bless.

Putz said...

are you the gigi that frenchman maurice chavalier sings about from the 50's???big storms, i just hide my head under a pillow like an ostrich in his hole, at least the new problems seem at bay...i don't hit any cars, cause i'm not driving, i don't have bill collectors cause i'm not buying...

Gigi said...

LOL putz...no, I'm not "that" Gigi!

Trudy said...

Looks like you're safe from Ike. I've been watching it since my husband is headed that way next week.

I like to think about natural disasters in reference to the power of God. Isn't it amazing the power of a hurricane? Now think of that power as a display or an introduction to the power of God. Pretty amazing...