Monday, May 3, 2010

Back in time

This past week I've been remembering a lot about my days in Vacation Bible School as a kid...not sure why. Maybe because summer's coming and I'm hoping my youngest grandson will want to, once again, attend VBS at my church...

Anyway - whatever the reason - whenever I think of my summers spent in VBS, today's Music Monday song always comes to mind!

Now, I grew up Roman Catholic and we didn't have VBS. But there were two churches in my neighborhood - Presbyterian and Southern Baptist - that did. And I was blessed with parents that were not hung up on "Catholic only" even though we were very (very) active in our parish. So for years I attended VBS at each of those two churches, who nicely coordinated their VBS schedules so as not to overlap!

I loved Vacation Bible School as a child! So much to do...crafts, singing, worship, playtime! Tell me...what kid wouldn't love that?!

I remember learning this hymn during one VBS session...not sure which church it was. The denomination is irrelevant; the song, however, is not! Of course, as a small child I didn't understand the real meaning behind this beloved hymn. I do now and that makes it even more special.

Take a moment, would you, and just travel back to those Vacation Bible School days with me!


**Please scroll down and pause my player before watching video**





Now, I have to say...I don't think I had near that much fun singing this song! Or maybe I did...!

As Christians, we are called to "battle" each and every day. Until that wondrous day, when we will follow our Lord and Savior into the final battle. And we won't have to lift a finger!


Then I saw heaven opened, and a white horse was standing there. Its rider was named Faithful and True, for he judges fairly and wages a righteous war. His eyes were like flames of fire, and on his head were many crowns. A name was written on him that no one understood except himself. He wore a robe dipped in blood, and his title was the Word of God. The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses. From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress. On his robe at his thigh was written this title: King of all kings and Lord of all lords.
Revelation 19:11-16 NLT

5 comments:

nitewrit said...

Gigi,

I can't remember if I went to VBS in my childhood. The fact I can't remember leads me to believe I probably didn't. My wife and I have both taught VBS. It always struck a number of us involved in VBS at one time or another how many Roman Catholic families would send their children to a Baptist Vacation Bible School.

Larry

Jody said...

Seeds of the gospel were planted when you went to Vbs as you sang these songs. Have a great week.

Putz said...

gigi and her MUSIC posts>>onward christian soldiers is so dear to me...thanks

Dawn said...

Many children find Jesus for the first time in VBS. I loved it, too. And I love it that my grandgirls love it. Their music is so much more animated than ours - the girls are still listening to the CD's from 5 or 6 years ago as we are in the minivan.

My sister and I used to play Bible School in our back yard with the neighborhood kids. My sister, brother, and I kind of thought DVBS (used to be called Daily Vacation Bible School) was named after us - Dawn, Vicki, Barry Swanson!

nancygrayce said...

I loved VBS as a child and have taught many years with last year being the first year I wasn't in town. I am pretty sure we'll be out of town this year too!