Monday, October 12, 2009

A little mountain air

I was not looking forward to Friday. In fact, I was dreading it...so.........

I packed Thursday night and Friday morning Lulu and I jumped in the car and headed northwest. Spent a few hours with my baby boy (!) and then checked into my hotel room and tried to get some rest.

Saturday morning we headed northwest again. To the place my Sweet Hubby and I loved the most...Charlottesville, Virginia. Home of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, the University of Virginia and so much more.

My beloved Blue Ridge mountains

Easy to see how they got their name, isn't it?!


But we had come with a specific purpose. We had one thing on our minds and one thing only...

That's right...apples. From Carter Mountain Grove specifically.

The vineyards leading to the groves.

Yes it was overcast and yes we got rained on. But we didn't care because we got

lots and lots of these!

Fujis, Romes, Red Delicious, Jonagolds, Winesap, Braeburns...ahhhhhhhh!

And I haven't even mentioned the fresh apple cider that we brought home.

Nor have I mentioned the warm apple cider donuts that we enjoyed along with a cup of hot apple cider. And yes, we enjoyed them in the rain. I think it made them taste better!

And just so you don't get jealous, I'm not gonna talk about the other apple "stuff" we got...like Carter Mountain Grove apple butter and apple cider vinegar. Nope, not gonna mention that!

But I will tell you about the apple cider slushies we slurped on the ride home! They were the bombdiggity!

Here are a couple of Charlottesville memories of happier times:

Taken on our last trip to Monticello




My Sweet Hubby and I at Barboursville Ruins
Sorry for the scrunched up face - that day the sun was shining brightly!

And so...

Matthew and Stefanie ~ thank you for sharing smiles (and tears) with me this weekend!


No, I didn't forget that it's Music Monday! I heard this song on the drive up on Friday, so here it is - from me to you...

The Words I Would Say ~ Sidewalk Prophets

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him" James 1:2-5

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm so glad you ventured out on your own like that and went back to a place that meant so much to both of you. And all the apple stuff sounds yummy - I never would have thought of an apple slushy!

The mountains look lovely, even in the rain. And yes, they're aptly named. We enjoyed them last fall just at this time, and I would come again in a heartbeat.

Blessings on your as you begin a new week.

Jess said...

I'm so very happy that you had a good drive with your pooch...that you visited your son and his family and that you got so many goodies!

Love, Jess

Jody said...

It is always nice to get away. We were in the Blue Ridge Mountains 2 years ago at this time at Fairhaven Ministries in Tennessee. Took a ride to the Billy Graham Center, can't remember the city it's in, and drove along the mountains, beautiful. Praying for you as the one year anniversary approaches. It's easy to remember, it is our wedding anniversary.