Wednesday, June 2, 2010

God's Rosebud

I've received this twice in as many days...usually I like to post something from Proverbs on Wednesday, but I think this is a good choice for today's Wisdom Wednesday, don't you?



A new minister was walking with an older, more seasoned minister in the garden one day.



Feeling a bit insecure about what God had for him to do, he was asking the older preacher for some advice.



The older preacher walked up to a rosebush and handed the young preacher a rosebud and told him to open it without tearing off any petals.




The young preacher looked in disbelief at the older preacher and was trying to figure out what a rosebud could possibly have to do with his wanting to know the will of God for his life and ministry.




But because of his great respect for the older preacher, he proceeded to try to unfold the rose, while keeping every petal intact.



It wasn't long before he realized how impossible this was to do.




Noticing the younger preacher's inability to unfold the rosebud without tearing it, the older preacher began to recite the following poem...




"It is only a tiny rosebud,
A flower of God's design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
With these clumsy hands of mine."




"The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I.
GOD opens this flower so easily,
But in my hands they die."




"If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of God's design,
Then how can I have the wisdom
To unfold this life of mine?"




"So I'll trust in God for leading
Each moment of my day.
I will look to God for guidance
In each step of the way."




"The path that lies before me,
Only my Lord knows.
I'll trust God to unfold the moments,
Just as He unfolds the rose."




Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not to your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5

(You knew I'd manage to get Proverbs in here today, right?!)

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Love the rosebuds opening! Well, it's amazing - I have been pondering a post based on that proverb from last Sunday's sermon. My word for the year is TRUST and it hits me coming and going - isn't God good??

Kim said...

what is the song that plays when I pull up your blog and who sings it? I love it. Thanks for the blessing.

Gigi said...

Dawn, He is soooo good!!! I'm looking forward to your post!

Gigi said...

Kim, I'm not sure what the song is...my player is set to "shuffle." The next time you hear it on my blog, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see my playlist. The song/artist name of the song currently playing will be highlighted. Wish I could be more help...but I'm glad the song blesses you when you hear it! I love music and so many songs move me and leave me feeling blessed so I know what you mean!

Putz said...

is one of those buds, BUDS, buds for me, love you

Jeanne said...

My 90 year old mother has been the recipient of decades of miraculous rosebuds on Mother's Day. It began the first Mother's Day after my sister died in March, 1967. Many times there have been no traces of a rosebud the night before, but some time after the dawn of Mother's Day, the precious bud would appear. In and of itself, this is truly a miracle. But, even more so in the fact that my mother has moved twice and doesn't have the original rose bush. The bush that bears the buds now, is barely a bush any longer. It's a stick with a few leaves. The rosebuds off this bush are so tiny and delicate -- just like my mother is now.

And we have had yet another miraculous rosebud come about since my dad passed away -- on Father's Day the past three years, out of the blue, a second rosebud has appeared. Not for my mother, but for me. Our habit is to watch daily as the bud opens. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't, but the petals never drop.

The verse that speaks the most to me is:

"The path that lies before me,
Only my Lord knows. I'll trust God to unfold the moments,
Just as He unfolds the rose."

God gives my mother, and now me, the rosebuds to remind us that He loves us and understands. That He's with us as the moments of our lives unfold.

nancygrayce said...

Life is a fragile as that rosebud....only God can handle life! I'm learning to give it all to Him!